Saturday, February 11, 2006

CPAC Report, Part I

11 a.m. SAT. 2-11-06

Just got back from the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) at the beautiful Omni Shoreham Hotel in DC. Had to leave a day early: My wife’s boss’s father died, so she had to go to work, and we have a 5-year-old who’s sick, so … Sorry I had to miss the Michelle Malkin luncheon but, hey, family values, right?

I was there to promote DONKEY CONS, of course, handing out chapter samplers and business cards and generally making a nuisance.

Got to meet a lot of folks -- Glenn "Instapundit" Reynolds, Star Parker, Mark Krikorian, Elaine Donnelly, Paul Mulshine, Joel Mowbray and … dang! About half the business cards I collected during three days at CPAC have gone missing. Family values.

Among other events, I attended Thursday’s dinner with Vice President Dick Cheney and Friday’s dinner with John “I Am The Walrus” Bolton, plus a couple of private receptions. The weird thing is I didn’t have tickets for any of those events. Twice I was given tickets by people I’d just met, and twice I got in by knowing the “Open Sesame” of CPAC: “I’m with Ian.”

There will be more to come, including an inside report about Ann Coulter’s controversial remarks, so check back regularly in the next 24 hours.

-- McCAIN