Monday, April 10, 2006

Hatin' on Cynthia

As mentioned last week, I had second thoughts about the Cynthia McKinney Hatefest that erupted in the wake of her dust-up with the Capitol Police. They were doing this little mantra that some people get into when they're angry at black liberals: "She's a black racist."

Some of y'all may remember the Raqiyah Mays controversy of two years ago. She had a "Waiting to Exhale" moment live on the radio and got fired for it:
My confession this hour is that I’m a racist. I really am. I have a problem with white people. Not all white people, but a lot of white people. I can’t tell if they are being real with me or not. And then I hate when the black guy is walking down the street with the white girl. I hate both of them. C’mon, there’s a man shortage.
Perhaps not the most eloquent way to express it, but Miss Mays was talking about a serious social problem in the black community. Raqiyah says she wants white people to "be real" with her, but there's a trust issue -- she wonders if they're fronting on her. And she's feeling rejected, OK?

Everybody says they want open and honest discussion of these kinds of issues but ... well, just try it and see what happens, OK? Try being Michael Graham and doing an "open and honest discussion" about terrorism. Try being Rush Limbaugh, suggesting that sportswriters are not immune to liberal media bias.

Anyway, I well remember when Sean Hannity had Miss Mays on his radio show and was doing his trademark bully-boy thing on Raqiyah. I paraphrase from memory:

RAQIYAH: Well, Sean, you see, I ....
HANNITY: Racist!
RAQIYAH: No, I mean ...
HANNITY: Racist!
RAQIYAH: Look, Sean, you've got to understand ...
HANNITY: Racist! Racist! Racist!

This is only a slight exaggeration, folks, and I don't mean to say that Sean is not a great American or anything but .... It's Lent, OK? And I know Sean is a devout Catholic. He probably didn't mean to be so uncharitable and unsympathetic to a woman with whose personal situation he was unfamiliar. (For all I know, Sean and Raqiyah are actually best buddies, and their confrontational radio match-up was just an act, like pro wrestlers screaming at each other on TV.)

Having gone through my own trials as Token Villain of the Day -- hi, Duncan! hello, Heidi! -- when I heard the Sean-Raqiyah shout-fest in 2004, I got angry. I really did. And I was angry at Sean for trying to reduce a complex problem to a simple label, "racist." This has become an all-purpose epithet that is applied so haphazardly nowadays as to be meaningless. It's used to describe everyone from Aryan Nations killers to ... well, Sean Hannity. (I'm getting 318,000 hits with that combination, which may or may not mean that Sean is 500 times more "racist" as Stacy McCain. Or maybe he's just more famous for it. We report. You decide.)

So now, back to our old friend Cynthia McKinney. Lovely woman who was having a bad hair day, was late for a meeting in the Capitol, wasn't wearing her ID, got stopped after blowing past the metal detectors, etc. And like I said before, the minute I heard about this incident, a clock started ticking in my head -- and I'm sure I wasn't the only one -- waiting for Cynthia to play the race card. It was a lead-pipe cinch.

I had my fun telling the story of how I go back 15 years with "Jihad Cindy," and linked up to a lot of others getting in their shots. What I never did, however, was demonize her as a "black racist." Just as when people have smeared Sean, Rush, Michael Graham, Michelle Malkin, David Horowitz, Peter Brimelow or any number of other conservatives as "racist," this ugly label is a stumbling block, an obstacle to understanding. We ought to avoid it, where possible.

Sensible, serious people should treat the “r-word” like they treat the “n-word,” a hateful insult which only hurts and harms. (It’s OK for Chris Rock to use it, though, just like I don’t mind Jeff Foxworthy doing his redneck jokes. Great idea for Comedy Central: Have Jeff and Chris switch material, so that Chris is the one doing the redneck jokes, etc. Boffo, baby!)

What Cynthia McKinney went through last week, I was going through myself. (Ned Flanders Alert!) Friday evening, I grabbed my Bible and found myself reading in Psalm 69:
They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head: they that would destroy me, being mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: then I restored that which I took not away. O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee. Let not them that wait on thee, O Lord God of hosts, be ashamed for my sake: let not those that seek thee be confounded for my sake, O God of Israel. …
They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the song of the drunkards. But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O Lord, in an acceptable time: O God, in the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation. Deliver me … let me be delivered from them that hate me. … Hear me, O Lord; for thy lovingkindness is good: turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies.


Go read the whole thing. Heh.

Now that was the valley, and that was my prayer, and TBogg, who apparently didn’t get his secret decoder ring, missed what I was talking about when I mentioned those "far more powerful than I," whose assistance I was promised. For when the Psalmist uses the expression “Lord of hosts” … well, hosts of what? Angels, TBogg -- companies, battalions, regiments, divisions, corps, yea, verily: mighty armies of angels.

And then last night, I clicked on Drudge and saw that Ann Coulter’s next book is GODLESS: THE CHURCH OF LIBERALISM. “Therefore it became a proverb, Is Ann also among the prophets?”

A mighty work is at hand, dear brothers. I do not jest. I’m here to testify and to bear witness -- amazing things are happening. I keep trying to tell Duncan, Heidi and the gang that I do not hate them. I’m like Joseph: You meant it for evil, but God meant it for good. I was chastised for my folly and sin, which were never hidden from God. And now every day I’m seeing the blessings, the tender mercies, the “angels unawares.”

So … you’re hating on Cynthia? Come on, Sean, is anyone beyond salvation? Is there any sinner so wretched as to be exempt from God’s grace? It’s Holy Week, Sean. Time for prayer, dear brother. I know you’re a Great American, but can’t you be a Great Christian, too? Even toward Sister Cynthia? Let us sing:

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love.
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.


Sean, call Max. Let’s pass the offering plate, then we'll go eat a big supper on the grounds at Big Springs Baptist: fried chicken, turnip greens, fried squash, sliced fresh tomatos, fried okra, iced tea and pecan pie.

-- McCAIN
Proverbs 22:29

P.S.: Honest, folks, people who've heard me speak in public say I missed my calling. Tell it, brother!

DONKEY CONS: Buy it
DONKEY CONS: Buy TWO!
DONKEY CONS: Rave review
DONKEY CONS: About the book