Friday, April 21, 2006

A rough measure

Apparently I wasn't the first one to come up with this idea -- that's 489 hits as of today -- the Carpetbagger Report beat me to it. But it's really getting hotter -- here, here, and here, for example.

When a single issue, almost overnight, turns a 60-ish business reporter into the cable-news equivalent of a rock star, you would think politicians might get the hint.

The Left has, also overnight, discovered a deep hatred of Lou Dobbs, claiming that he's demagoguing the immigration issue. But I think Dobbs is following, rather than leading, public sentiment. The people are clearly at boiling-point over illegal immigration.

I've been doing a ton of local talk-radio appearances to promote DONKEY CONS in the past three weeks. As a guest, I call into a show's producer, then I'm put on hold while I wait to go on-air. Generally, that means I'm on the phone listening to the last few minutes of the previous segment. Over and over, I hear hosts taking calls from listeners who are angry and fed up with what they see as a border situation that's completely out of control. This is a genuine popular phenomenon.

So if the Left wants to focus its hate on Lou Dobbs, they're wasting their time. It's the American people who are driving this issue. In a democratic form of government, it's never a smart political move to be against the people.

-- McCAIN