Sunday, June 25, 2006

Feeling lucky?

Go down gambling.
Sing it when you're running low.
Go down gambling.
You may never have to go.
-- Blood, Sweat & Tears, 1970

Who wants to make a wager?

No, not Argentina vs. Germany in the World Cup -- my daughter's boyfriend is from Argentina, and after Rodriguez's amazing OT goal Saturday against Mexico, I cannot be sufficiently objective about the Cup quarterfinals to gamble on that. ¡Va La Argentina!

I'm talking about the JeromeGate/Ko$ola story. Saturday, I predicted that the MSM would soon be covering that story, and within 2 hours, Raw Story reporter that David Brooks would have a column on the controversy in the NY Times. Further confirmation my prophetic insight came when Newsweek was unable to avoid the Armstrong/DailyKos question in their profile of Markos Moulitsas Zuniga, which hits newsstands Monday.

My chief forecasting error was that the dead-tree MSM moved much faster than I predicted. Given this accelerated pace, I have recently consulted the omens and auguries -- and factored in the influence of Ixion, Quaoar and the Kuiper Belt -- and am now prepared to moderate my position, and offer a wager to any conservative blogger who dares take it:
In Monday night's monologue, Jay Leno will joke about the Armstrong/DailyKos controversy, including at least one gag about astrology.
Because I haven't had the chance to read the Armstrong-Zuniga book yet, I will offer a free copy of DONKEY CONS if I lose, against a free copy of CRASHING THE GATES if I win. (Delivery via Amazon by July 16.)

The bet is open to the first conservative blogger who e-mails me to accept the stakes. No moonbats need apply.

--McCAIN