Thursday, June 15, 2006

Libertarian teen orgy

I had a great time Thursday night at the Reason magazine party, my experience of which consisted of four basic phases:
  • A guy walks past me and I hear somebody say "Beckerman," at which point I walk over and lambaste novelist Marty Beckerman -- precocious author of Generation S.L.U.T. -- for having failed to recognize me. The great thing about hanging out with Beckerman is, I always know I'm only the second-craziest guy in the room. Right now, Marty's peeved because Simon & Schuster screwed him on his next book, Retard Nation. "America's Sexxxiest Young Journalist" was hanging with an old college friend, Devin, who is funny.
  • After about 45 minutes, I look over at the next table and nudge Marty: "Hey, it's Hitch." No kidding -- Christopher Hitchens was sitting there chatting, smoking and drinking. And drinking. One reason why Hitchens drinks a lot, I think, is because he so often drinks for free. People will buy him drinks (Johnny Walker Black) just to hear him talk. So Marty bought Hitch a whiskey, and he then regaled us with jokes and limericks. I had heard Hitch do one of the jokes -- which I call "The Respect Joke" -- at a comedy benefit for the Plamegate Two, and demanded a repeat performance. It was even better the second time.
  • After midnight, my good friend Cinecon shows up, and we're talking to Jacob Sullum when who should appear on the big-screen TV but Ann Coulter, with Jay Leno on the "Tonight" show. This prompted an extended discussion about Coulter that turned into a debate over the Bush administration's surveillance programs.
At various points, I also found myself talking to:
Speaking of underage, the Reasonoids sure know how to generate blog traffic: Talk about teen orgies on CBS, complete with obscene online video. That's courtesy of Kerry Howley, who's seen my infamous Speedo photo.

-- McCAIN