Saturday, June 17, 2006

¡Va La Argentina! (Mas)


As previously explained, I'm now cheering for Argentina in the World Cup, because my Darling Daughter's boyfriend is from Argentina.

Apparently, World Cup is not something you should joke about with Argentines. You can joke about the Falkland Islands, but they take their soccer very seriously. Some of my previous jokes were not appreciated, Darling Daughter informs me.

For instance, I had joked that the "pathetic Argentina team ... barely squeaked past Ivory Coast 2-1." I have since been informed that the referees in that game cheated Argentina out of at least four additional goals. This is not an opinion, but an objective truth ... if you're from Argentina.

But no joking necessary after Friday's game, when Argentina stomped Serbia-Montenegro 6-0. Great game.

-- McCAIN